MERCHANT NAVY Course Details
Merchant Navy can be the best field for those candidates who want to earn big and travelling through oceans for months does not bother you. Merchant navy is a fleet of ships that is responsible for transporting heavy goods from one country to another. It is one of the essential parts of international trade as most of the import and export are done through ships. A career in Merchant Navy can be most beneficial if you are looking for lucrative jobs. This field can be joined through different courses depending on the preference of the candidate. There are three modes of entry into the field varying depending on the courses that one seeks. Candidates can join Merchant Navy at any level starting after class 10 to graduation.
Merchant Navy Courses Eligibility
The eligibility for joining merchant navy is finishing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Candidates have to be unmarried Indian citizens (male or female).
Merchant Navy Courses Duration
Average Duration:- 6 Months to 3 Year
Merchant Navy Courses Syllabus
1. Mechanics of Fluids
2. Nautical Physics and Electronics Paper
3. Marine Auxiliary Machine
4. Shipping Management
5. Naval Architecture
6. Marine Machines and System Design
7. Voyage Planning and Collision Prevention
8. Electrical Machines
9. Principles of Navigation
10. Marine Boiler and System Engineering
11. Cargo Machine and Marine Communication
12. Environmental Science
13. Marine Electrical Technology
14. Ship Operation Technology
15. Marine IC Engineering
16. Maritime Law
17. Marine Heat Engines and Air Conditioning
18. STCW and Ship Fire Prevention
Types Of Merchant Navy Courses
|B.Tech Marine Engineering||B.Tech Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering|
|B.Tech Harbour & Ocean Engineering||G.P Rating|
|Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME)||Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)|
|B.B.A. Logistics & Supply Chain Management||Higher National Diploma (Marine Engineering)|
|Marine Engineering under Alternate Training Scheme||BBA Shipping|
|M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management||Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)|
|MBA Shipping Finance||B.E Harbour and Ocean Engineering|
|B.Tech Ship Building||B.E Marine Engineering|
|B.E. Mechanical Engineering||ETO (Electro-Technical Officer)|
|B.Sc Nautical Science||Electro-Technical Officer Course|
Merchant Navy Courses CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Merchant Navy is one of the most high paying careers in India as well as abroad. Sailors are paid excellent packages as working on a ship is considered to be a difficult job. There are numerous career opportunities in this field and salaries vary depending on the post of the candidates.
Merchant Navy Courses Scope
There is tremendous scope in the field and Merchant Navy is among one of the most lucrative careers. There are various kinds of ships carrying different types of cargos. They can find employment according to the area of their interest or availability in the market.
The starting salary of Cadets is around 40-50k. Generally, the task of the cadet is the maintenance of the ship, and they assist the officers with their task. After completing sea period, competency exams and after joining the ship, their salary would jump to 90k-1,20,000. Similarly, the engineers earn around 50k in the beginning and it can reach up to 1-2lacs.
Engineers take care of the technical issues and are responsible for the smooth running of the ship. The salaries of the various companies are different, but gas tankers generally pay 20-30% more. There are various types of cargos in which they can find employment
There are various kinds of cargos which you can join after completing your education. You can choose the kind of ship you wish to join, although it will totally depend upon the vacancy of various fields.
Types of Merchant Navy Cargos
1. Bulk Carrier: Bulk Carrier also referred as bulker carries unpacked bulk cargo like ore, coal, cement, grains, etc.
2. Reefer Ship: Reefer ships are designed to transport perishable material such as vegetables, dairy product, fish, meat, fruits, etc. These commodities require temperature controlled system.
3. Roll on/ Roll Off Ship: Such ships carry wheeled cargo such as cars, trucks, railroad cars, etc. The ramps are built in a way to efficiently roll on and roll off the vehicles.
4. Oil Tanker/ Chemical Tanker: Oil Tanker also referred to as petroleum tanker are designed to carry bulk oil. There are two types of oil tankers- Crude Tankers and Product Tanker. Chemical Tanker is a separate type of ship and they carry chemicals in bulk.
5. LNG Carrier: They are designed to carry Liquified Natural Gas and is among the rapidly growing area of the Merchant navy. It is amongst the highest paying sectors.
Merchant Navy Course ADMISSION PROCESS
TO TAKE ADMISSION IN MERCHANT NAVY, A CANDIDATE SHOULD SATISFY THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA TO TAKE ADMISSION IN NAVAL INSTITUTES:-
1. Exam conducted by JEE INDIA-2021
2. Applicants must be pass 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or Equivalent at the time of admission.
To do merchant navy course one should qualify JOINT ENTRANCE EXAM (JEE INDIA).
Merchant Navy COURSEs SALARY
Merchant Navy Salary & Job Profiles The Merchant navy consists of various profiles based on the educational qualifications of a candidate. It consists of the posts of Cadets and Officers and hence, the Merchant Navy salary will range from 70,000 per month to up to 20 lakhs per month.